Do you want to start brewing your own beer at home? If yes, then you should invest in a good-quality homebrew kit.
Homebrewing is a hobby that has been around since ancient times. The earliest known reference to homebrewing was found in the writings of Homer.
In the early 20th century, commercial breweries began producing their own beers. As time passed, the popularity of home brewing grew. Nowadays, homebrewers produce millions of gallons of beer each year.
There are several types of homebrew kits available today. They range from simple kits that include ingredients such as malt extract and hops to complex systems that require specialized equipment.
But what are the best home brewing kits? What features should you be looking for in your home brewing kit? What are the best materials for home beer brewing? How much should a home brewing kit set you back?
OUR TOP PICK
OUR TOP PICK
The Northern Brewer home brewing kit contains all the pieces of equipment needed to begin making great-tasting beer.
It comes with a grain mill so that you can turn your malted barley into perfect crushed grains, a boiling pot to make sure that you kill any bacteria or wild yeasts, a wort chiller to ensure that your chilled water hits the right temperature.
It also has a stainless steel keg washer that keeps your kegs clean and free of scratches, and an airlock to help maintain sanitary conditions when fermenting.
It even includes everything you need to get started including a recipe book, yeast nutrients, instructions, and more.
It’s worth noting that this kit doesn’t come with a carboy. You will have to buy one separately if you don’t already have one.
However, it does come with a very detailed instruction manual that will guide you through every step of the process. This allows you to avoid mistakes that could ruin your first batch.
This is a great beginner’s kit because it provides everything you need to get going without having to spend too much money.
- It comes with a stainless steel washer - if you want to keep the inside of your keg absolutely spotless, we would certainly recommend this unit.
- Hygienic - this is a very clean unit, with plenty of tools that will keep it clean. We would certainly recommend that you get this one for decent homebrew.
- Easy to understand - You can be sure that you'll have plenty of instructions to set you on your way when it comes to home brewing, especially if you are embarking on it for the first time.
- Helps You Kill Bacteria - if you are looking to get rid of harmful bacteria that might spoil your beer, then we would certainly suggest that you get this model.
- No carboy included - this might hamper the beer brewing process, especially if you are looking to ferment it over time.
If you are looking for a starter kit that comes with everything you need to start brewing beer at home, then look no further than Mr. Beer.
They provide everything you need to get brewing, including a full two-gallon glass carboy, a stainless steel kettle, a thermometer, a hydrometer, a funnel, a strainer, a siphon, and a few other items.
They do not include a mash tun though, which means that you will have to purchase one separately.
You will also have to purchase some malt extract, but they do include a recipe book to help you out with that.
We think that this is a fantastic choice for beginners who are just getting into home brewing.
- Everything you need in one package - this comes with the complete kit that any starter home brewer will need. This is perfect for your needs.
- Easy to use - this comes with plenty of easy-to-read instructions, which is essential when you are trying to wrap your head around this difficult process.
- No complicated instructions - this home brewing kit keeps it nice and simple, perfect for both beginners and intermediate brewers.
- Two gallons - you can brew a hefty batch of beer which will definitely get you through a few weeks during the summer.
- If you are planning to brew a lot of batches, then you may find yourself wanting to upgrade to something bigger.
If you are looking to brew your own beer, but you aren't quite ready to invest in a whole new setup, then Craft A Brew may be what you're after.
Craft A Brew includes all the same things as Mr. Beer's kit, plus they add a few extra extras such as a stainless steel pot, a straining bag, a hydrometer and a thermometer.
This is perfect if you are still learning how to make beer or even if you just want to try out different recipes.
It does come with an instruction manual, so you don't have to worry about figuring anything out by yourself.
This is a great option if you are just starting out and you'd like to save money.
- Includes everything you need to brew beer - this includes a stainless steel pot, straining bag, hydrometer, thermometer, and more.
- Great value for money - this is a good deal for anyone who wants to learn how to brew their own beer without having to spend too much money on equipment.
- Great beginner's kit - this is a great option for those who are just starting off in the world of homebrewing.
- Not enough space - this kit doesn't include a large enough pot to accommodate larger batches of beer.
- Doesn't include a mashing tun - this would be ideal for someone who already has experience making beer, but would like to go a step further.
The ABC Crafted series of kits from Amazon is designed to give you everything you need to start making beer at home.
This pouch comes with the recipe that you need to make a brown ale that comes with a sweet and syrupy texture. It also has notes of rich fruit and a brown sugar aroma that will certainly leave you hankering for more.
This comes in a very generous sachet that you can use to brew a hefty batch of this brown ale. It is also fairly priced and will give you up to 6 gallons of brown ale.
If you know someone who is into brewing at home, then this would make a great gift. Although you'll want to make sure that they have a home brewing kit first!
- A decent size sachet - this comes with more than enough beer to get you through the summer. You can impress all your friends with your homebrewing skills!
- Good price - this is very reasonable and will brew you a whole batch of decent-tasting beer. Make sure that you have the home brewing kit beforehand.
- Easy to follow instructions - this is one of the easiest sachets to use. Not only does it have plenty of yeast inside, but it will be easy for even a newbie to understand.
- You won't get any additional ingredients with this kit - this only comes with the powder, so you'll need to make sure that you have the rest of the kit before buying.
This system is made by Grainfather, which is a company based in Australia. They make some of the best grain mills around, so you know that this product is going to be high quality.
This is a complete all-in-one system that allows you to brew 5-gallon batches of beer using a single tap.
There are two options available here, you can either buy an ASM or XUC version. The difference between these two models is that the ASM model uses a standard gravity flow while the XUC model uses a variable flow rate.
This is a great option if you're looking to brew a lot of beer at once. It makes it easier to manage the process, especially when you're brewing multiple batches at once.
It comes with a stainless steel keg, a CO2 tank, a stainless steel mash tun, a stainless steel boil kettle, a stainless steel hop back, and a stainless steel fermentor.
The included accessories are pretty good too - there's a stainless steel airlock, a stainless steel funnel, a stainless steel strainer, a stainless steel thermometer.
But it doesn't stop there. It also has a stainless steel bottle filler, a stainless steel siphon tube, a stainless steel blow-off valve, a stainless steel ball lock lid, a stainless steel airlock cap, a stainless steel bung, and a stainless steel safety pin.
The system comes with a manual that gives you step-by-step instructions on how to set it up. It also includes a video tutorial that shows you exactly what to do.
- Great value for money - this has everything that you need for a really solid price. If you are just starting out or you have some experience with home brewing, you'll want to snap this kit up.
- Very well built - this comes with a stainless steel body that you can be sure will be easy to clean and give you everything that you need for a decent beer at the end of it.
- Includes everything you need - this comes with all the accessories that you need to be able to brew a decent batch of beer.
- Not as much variety as other kits - this comes as the standard unit without some of the intricate technology as some of the other kits.
- No extra ingredients - you might have to buy some extra ingredients, which might be annoying if you have already shelled out on the main unit.
If you want to go one step further than the basic Grainfather kit, then this is probably the next step up from that. This kit comes with everything that you need to brew your first five gallons of beer.
This kit is designed to work with both bottles and cans. You get everything that you need to make five gallons of beer, including a full-size fermentor, a kegerator, a CO2 regulator, a CO2 tank and a few extras like a siphon tube and a bottling bucket.
There are three different versions of this kit, each with its own unique features. They include:
- BrewDemon Craft Beer Brewing Kit Pro (bottle)
- BrewDemon Craft Brewery Kit Pro (cans)
- BrewDemon Homebrewing Kit Pro (bottle & cans)
They all come with the same components, but they differ in terms of the materials used to build them.
The differences between the three kits are:
- Bottle only version - this version comes with everything that you would expect from any of the other kits, except for the ability to use bottles instead of kegs.
- Cans only version - this version works the same way as the bottle only version, except that it uses a special type of aluminum can.
- Both bottle and cans version - this version comes complete with everything that you would find in the other two kits, plus it allows you to use either bottles or cans.
- Everything that you need for a good quality 5 gallon batch of beer - if you are into brewing up a big drum of beer for a party, then you can't go wrong with this hefty unit.
- Easy to follow instructions - this will give you everything that you need for a decent brew. All you'll have to do is read the instructions and follow them to the letter.
- Good value for money - this is great for anyone who does not want to spend an arm and a leg on their first home brewing machine.
- Comes with everything that you need - this comes with all the bells and whistles. You won't need to outsource any other parts from anywhere else.
- You may not be able to use the kit if you live somewhere where there are restrictions on alcohol sales.
Best Home Beer Brewing Kit Buying Guide
How Much Beer Do I Want To Brew?
That really depends on what you want to achieve when you start homebrewing.
If you want to brew a large quantity of beer for a party or event, then you could consider buying the BrewDemon Craft Beer Brewing kit. It has everything that you need to produce five gallons of beer.
However, if you just want to brew small batches of beer at home, then you might want to look at the Brew Demon Homebrewing kit.
This kit includes everything that you need to create four gallons of beer, which is more than enough for most people.
How Much Should I Pay For My Home Brewing Equipment?
If you're looking to buy a new home brewing machine, then you should take a look at the prices of the various machines available.
The price ranges vary widely depending on the brand, so you should shop around before making any purchases.
When shopping around, remember that you can save some money by purchasing your equipment online.
There are many websites that offer discounts on items such as home brewing machines, so you should check these sites before making any purchases.
Also, don't forget about eBay, Amazon and Craigslist. These websites often sell discounted equipment, so make sure to keep an eye out for deals.
What Are Some Good Brands Of Home Brewing Equipment?
There are lots of different brands of home brewing equipment available, but here are some of the best-known ones:
This company makes a wide range of home brewing equipment, including fermentors, boilers, chillers, thermometers, etc. They also sell replacement parts for home brewers.
Another popular manufacturer of home brewing equipment, KegWorks offers a full line of kegs, taps, accessories, and much more.
Home Brew Mart
This is another well-known name in the world of home brewing equipment. Their website contains detailed information about how to brew beer using their products.
What Should A Home Brewing Keg Be Made From?
Ideally, you should have a stainless steel keg, as this is the easiest to clean. However, you can get kegs made from wood.
Best Home Beer Brewing Kit - FAQ's
What Size Of Pot Do I Need For 5 Gallons Of Beer?
A 5-gallon pot is suitable for brewing approximately 4 liters (1 US gal) of beer.
How Long Will It Take To Brew A Batch Of Beer?
Depending on the type of beer being brewed, it takes between 2 and 3 hours to complete a batch.
Our Final Say
We hope that our list of the best home brewing beer kits has given you a better idea of the kind of kit that you should buy.
You'll want to make sure that you know how much beer you want to brew as well as your skill level at home brewing.
You should also consider how easy it is to maintain your keg. It is very important that you keep your home-brewer clean and free of harmful bacteria.
- Best Proofing Parrots For Home Distilling - February 1, 2023
- What Is A Porter Beer? - June 12, 2022
- How To Make A Still - June 12, 2022