Are you looking for a way to save some money on your next party or get a little extra cash from your favorite drink? Home distillation is a great way to create your own alcohol at home without having to spend a fortune.
If you want to start home distilling, you'll need to invest in a good quality still. There are several types of stills out there, but the simplest ones are usually the best. The best part is that they don't require much maintenance.
Home distillation kits come at various sizes and prices. Some are better suited for beginners, while others are designed for professional distillers.
OUR TOP PICK
When it comes to home distilling, this model is one of the most effective and durable, coming at a decent price.
This comes with a copper coil in the center that will allow rapid cooling for your homebrew. This also comes with some steel circulation, which will be really helpful for your needs.
This comes with a tight seal and some silicone tubes, both of which are very helpful for keeping out oxygen and other bacteria that might damage the constitution of your precious brew.
- Copper coils - this comes with copper on the inside that has thermal adaptive capabilities. It also comes with a rubber pad that will speed up the cooling process.
- Silicone tubing - This comes with high-grade silicone tubing, which is very important for not contaminating the inside of your brew.
- Tight seal - this comes with a durable and tight seal that will enable you to brew without having to worry about harmful contaminants getting into your batch.
- Expensive - this might be a little pricey for people who are looking to brew only a few times a year. Unless you are a committed brewer, then this might not be worth it.
The Yuewo 3 pots DIY 3gal alcohol still is an excellent choice if you're just starting out. It's easy to use, simple to set up, and perfect for small batches.
It can hold around 3 gallons of liquid, so it's ideal for making moonshine, whiskey, vodka, gin, brandy, and more. You can even make wine!
It features a stainless steel body, which makes it durable enough to last through years of use.
You can control the temperature and pressure by adjusting the water level. You can also adjust the heat source by turning the knob.
The lid is made of glass, which is shatterproof and non-reactive.
- Easy to operate - this is one of the easiest alcohol stills to operate. All you have to do is turn the knob and press the button.
- Easy to clean - this is one of those alcohol stills that is super easy to clean. Just remove the stopper and wash away any residue or sediment.
- Simple design - this is a great option for anyone who wants to get started home brewing right away.
- Not suitable for large batches - this is not meant to be used for larger batches. If you want to make a lot of booze, then go for something else.
- Expensive - this is expensive compared to other options available. But if you plan on using it often, then it may be worth the cost.
If you want to start making your own homemade alcohol but don't want to spend a ton of money, then this OLizee 8 gal stainless steel water distiller is a good option.
This is a relatively inexpensive option that won't break the bank. It is also a simple device that doesn't require much maintenance.
It includes everything you need to get started, including a bottle opener, a funnel, and a strainer. It can also produce up to eight gallons of distilled spirits per batch.
It has a built-in thermostat that allows you to regulate the temperature from 68 °F to 122 °F. The unit also has a safety shut-off feature that prevents overpressure.
- Cheap - this is a fairly affordable option for someone who wants to try their hand at alcohol production.
- Easy to use - all you have to do is fill the tank with water and add your ingredients. Then plug in the power supply and let it run.
- Easy to maintain - this is a pretty basic machine that requires minimal upkeep. Simply drain the water after each use, rinse it well, and store it until you need to use it again.
- Doesn't work as advertised - some people claim that this unit actually produces less than five gallons of alcohol per batch. So while it does come with a full 8-gallon tank, it only produces about four.
- Expensive - this isn't the best option for those that are looking to save a buck or two on their distilling unit.
Now we're moving on to one of the best alcohol stills on Amazon. This is the Suninlife water alcohol distiller.
This is an excellent choice for beginners because it comes with a detailed instruction manual. There's also a video tutorial included.
You'll find a few different features here. For example, there's a built-in thermometer so you know exactly what the temperature is inside the unit.
There's also a digital display so you can see how much alcohol you've produced. And finally, there's a safety switch that shuts down the unit automatically if it detects high pressure.
The unit also comes with a removable glass carboy which makes it easier to transport. You can keep the carboy in the fridge when transporting it.
- Detailed instructions - this is a very easy product to use once you understand how it works.
- Easy to clean - this unit is designed to be cleaned easily. Just remove the top and wash out the internals.
- Consistent quality - this unit produces consistent results every time. If you are looking to brew the same batch over and over again, then you can't go wrong with this unit.
- Expensive - like a lot of other distillers, this premium model will be very hard to buy without spending a hefty wedge of cash.
Our final pick is another great option for beginners. This is the WMN Trulystep Home Distiller.
This is a premium unit that costs more money but it's worth every penny. It offers many advanced features such as stainless steel construction, a powerful motor, and a large 1-liter capacity.
It also includes a built-in Thermo sensor that keeps the unit running smoothly.
One thing to note though is that the unit doesn't include a carboy. So you will have to purchase one separately. But if you want a simple distillation setup that won't break the bank, this is a good option.
- Very durable - this unit has been tested by our team and they found it to be extremely sturdy.
- Very efficient - this unit gets the job done quickly. It's got a powerful motor that allows it to run at a constant speed.
- No carboy included - this unit doesn't include a storage container. So if you plan on storing your homemade moonshine, you'll need to get a separate carboy.
And now we're going to take a look at a 3-gallon stainless steel still. This is a smaller version of the 10-gallon still. However, it does provide a decent amount of space for making small batches of moonshine.
The barrel is constructed from 304-grade stainless steel. And the base is made from aluminum.
The design is pretty straightforward. There are no fancy features or extra bells and whistles. It's just a basic yet effective distiller.
However, you do get a few nice extras. Like an adjustable spigot. An airlock. A thermometer. And a stainless steel funnel.
You can adjust the height of the spout using the screw located under the lid. Then you simply add water to fill up the vessel. Once filled, you place the lid on top and let gravity do its magic.
You can also measure the temperature inside the vessel using the thermometer. Then you know exactly when the mash needs to be added.
Now, there are some downsides to this distillery. First off, it takes about 4 hours to heat up. That means that you'll need to start early in order to make sure that you don't miss any important steps.
Second, it's not easy to clean. Because of the size, it's difficult to reach all parts of the unit. You may find yourself having to disassemble it completely.
- Simple design - this unit is a breeze to use. It's got everything you need right out of the box.
- Heats up fast - this unit heats up fairly quickly. In fact, it only takes about 30 minutes to reach operating temperatures.
- Difficult to clean - because of the size, it can be challenging to keep clean.
In this video, we're taking a look at a 5-gallon stainless steel still. This is a great choice for those who want to try their hand at moonshining but aren't ready for a larger distillation setup.
This particular distiller comes with a variety of accessories. These include a thumper keg, a fermenting pot, a cooling pot, a silicone host and copper piping.
It's designed to work with both grain alcohol as well as corn whiskey. But it works best with the former. If you want to make corn whiskey, you'll have to invest in another distiller.
There are two ways to operate this still. You can either use direct fire or indirect fire. With direct fire, you burn charcoal in a separate container. Then, you pour the charcoal into the bottom of the pot. Finally, you light your charcoal until it begins to smoke.
Once the charcoal has begun to smolder, you then put your grains in the pot. They will begin to toast. When they've finished toasting, you remove them from the pot and proceed to milling.
Indirect fire involves pouring your grains into the pot first. Then, you build a fire on top of the pot. After the fire burns down to coals, you cover the pot and let it simmer.
Afterward, you can enjoy your homemade spirits without worrying about cleaning anything.
- Easy to use - this is one of the easiest units that you can use. It comes with a detailed instruction manual, which will certainly help you decide on the basics.
- Cheap - On the grander scale of distillers, this is one of the cheaper models. You also get plenty of value for money with this unit.
- Great for beginners - if you're new to making moonshine, this is a good option. The instructions are simple enough so that even a beginner can follow along easily.
- Not suitable for large batches - while this unit does come with an extra-large capacity, it's not ideal for larger volumes.
The Aimee-JL Moonshine and whiskey still is a small distillery that produces 13 gallons of pure alcohol per batch.
This distiller is made from stainless steel and glass. It features thermostat control, a safety lock, and a spout stopper.
This unit is easy to use and maintain. It includes a detailed instruction manual, which will explain how to set up the distiller and run it.
This one comes with a water pump that is electric and very easy to use. It also comes with a copper coil in the cooling pot that will aid the thermal distribution of heat.
This also comes with a hefty distillation barrel with a thermometer that will help you to check what level your brew is at. This is very important for getting the right taste for your final drink.
- Simple to use - this distiller is very straightforward to understand. There are no complicated settings to worry about.
- Suitable for large batches - this unit is meant to produce large quantities of alcohol.
- Easy maintenance - this distiller requires minimal maintenance. You only need to clean the parts once every few months.
- The price - this unit is quite expensive. It is also not the most efficient unit, so it is not a lot of bang for your buck.
Best Home Distilling Kit Buying Guide
How Much Alcohol Will I Be Distilling?
If you want to make alcoholic beverages at home, there is a wide range of different options available to you. From beer to hard liquor, you'll find a variety of choices to suit any budget.
If you're just starting out, you might consider buying a smaller unit that makes less than 1 gallon of alcohol each time. However, as you gain experience, you might want to invest in a bigger unit that can handle more volume.
What Type Of Alcohol Do I Want To Make?
When choosing a distiller, you should think about what type of alcohol you plan to make. If you're going to make vodka, then you'll probably want to buy a unit that makes around 3 gallons of alcohol each time. This way, you won't have to worry about wasting too much product.
On the other hand, if you plan to make whiskey, you'll probably want to go for a larger unit that can hold up to 10 gallons of liquid. This way, you don't have to worry about running out of alcohol before finishing the batch.
What Size Is Right For Me?
When choosing a unit, you also need to take into account your own personal needs. Some people prefer to work alone, while others enjoy working together with friends. If you're planning to invite guests over, you might want to get a bigger unit so they can help out.
If you're looking for something simple to operate, you might want to opt for a smaller unit that doesn't require a lot of maintenance. On the other hand, if your main concern is efficiency, then you'll want to look for a bigger unit that can produce more alcohol.
Best Home Distilling Kit - FAQ's
How Do I Know When My Alcohol Is Ready?
When making alcohol, you'll notice that some of the ingredients start to separate from the rest. The mixture will begin to bubble, and eventually, a layer of clear liquid will form on top of the mixture.
What Happens If I Put Too Much Water In The Pot?
If you put too much water in your pot, the alcohol will evaporate quickly. As a result, you'll end up with a weak drink.
Can I Use An Electric Stove Instead Of A Wood-burning Stove?
Yes, you can use an electric stove instead. Just make sure that you keep the temperature low enough so that the alcohol does not burn.
Our Final Say
We hope that our list of distillers has helped you to decide which one is the best for your needs. Remember that it will matter what kind of alcohol you're distilling, so make sure you get the right model.
And be sure to read our step-by-step instructions: